Sunday, September 13, 2015

The over-rated start up generation!! (Part 1)

Dear All,

I have been having discussions with a lot of people these days about the number of starts-ups this current generation is taking up. It's indeed delighting to see so many young brains taking risks, creating business models, getting investments, growing well. In fact some where in my heart I am also a wannabe start up guy but I think I have crossed the age to be young enough to attract eyeballs and guys of my age are already multi millionaires! (I am 27 by the way)
But as they say those who can't do, preach (and write blogs in deep slumbers of nights). That's one of the reasons this one is coming.
So we are 68 years independent. My grandfather was one who was born before independence, then came the generation of my dad who was born after independence but into a very under developed, controlled India and then I am born in a generation that has seen the transformation of India from an old school economy to a rising super power, a communication less society to and over communicated society.
So I think I will not be wrong to say that we are broadly into 3rd generation India. Yes the next generation is in process but the they are too young to make a difference except to their nappies.
Yes, so my grandfather was the one who struggled his way to an independent India and struggled hard to keep up a family, do some business (yes a start up in the time when nothing existed by the name of organised business) and some how the country started settling down.
Then came my dad's generation which I think are the people who are the real entrepreneurial generation. These are the men who developed the huge manufacturing base in this huge country. These are the men who started factories, plants, units, infrastructure companies, designed business, went to consumers, opened showrooms, opened shops and practically without much (rather any) backing. At that time opening a kirana or a cloth shop in the market was also a start up which these people did without any investors or any business consultants, on their very own.
These were the people who grew business in this country, mobilised agriculture. Created a huge manufacturing base and laid foundation to the service industry.
How big start ups they created which took the value of our economy to this scale.
They created products, they explored mines and minerals, they produced cloth, stone, oil, engineering equipments, agriculture equipments, FMCG items, chemicals, fibres etc etc...to support every thing they created infrastructure, transportation, service industry.
So I believe that first of all these great men who brought us till this stage deserve a huge round of appreciation and in real sense deserve to be called the start up kings who, with very limited resources and funding are into every nook and corner of this country. They created wealth!
Now the third generation has come and is doing fantastically well. But we are just a little over rated I feel..
How and why do I feel so will require me to continue this long blog with (another) part two!!
Wait for a few days until I post the second part...

I hope I will make some sense with this one too like the previous 2 part reservation blog.

Happy reading.

Signing off

Siddharth

PS: your thoughts and comments are most welcome! 

No comments: