Friday, August 28, 2015

Reservation - The biggest threat to emerging superpower! (Part 1)

Hi all,

Thanks for appreciating the last blog!!
I am thrilled that I am able to think and get into my writing zone so quickly which I have been missing from a long time!!
Some minds do not have a single line of thoughts. Like the other day I was technologically tired and today my mind seems to be entangled in entirely different thought!
Yes, as evident from the title of the blog, I am writing on reservation in India, on which humongous number of people have umpteen number of opinions, and so do I!
If you have been reading my blogs or have read my thoughts on social media, you would know that rather than statistics, I believe in writing based on experiences and gut feel more. I write my heart out rather than critical statistical analysis. So tonight also I would not put out numbers to what I am writing but I hope I will make sense.
India, our dear India is a well known emerging super power. The world acknowledges, the world speaks about us. But a promising kid also has his/her own share of challenges.
To me, one of the biggest challenge that India faces today is caste based Reservation. Not only the problem, but the consequential effects are scary and give me goosebumps.
Some years ago, I gave CAT exam and scored 96 percentile and obviously did not get call from any of the IIMs. The same year a reserved category candidate scored 74 percentile and got calls from 3-4 of them! That was when the word reservation, which I had known since childhood, actually hit me. It still pains!
Yes as a country we decided that we need yo uplift the backward but for how many years and at what cost?? With each passing day the cost of every single reserved seat is increasing not only for the individuals but for the country. We have been paying a huge cost for reservation through brain drain. One of the major reasons for brain drain has been the caste based reservation system. I do not know what will be the results if we compare the brain drain opportunity cost against what good we have achieved from reservation! And not only brain drain, we have wasted huge opportunities by not giving the post to the deserving.
Huge percentage of people who lead the country are product of reservation. A place like udaipur has to be led by a reserved caste because this is a reserved seat! So how will the development come?
Those who do not qualify the merit do not deserve to be in pilot's seat just because of their caste.
Further, the bigger fear is that the country is getting divided once again and our habit of being slaves does not go!
We have been servants. That's what our history has been. First to the kings, then to the Englishman and then to democracy, all because of our selfish interests.
Had we ever in the history of this 'great' nation, had national interest, the history and the future would have been different.
The caste based reservation must end now. It will have major consequences if not eliminated at the earliest.............

Signing off!!

Siddharth


PS: next part to this blog will follow.

2 comments:

fardin chrismatic khan said...

hello Sir,

Nice blog

we all need reservation free India, but in India reservation directly come from bad politics to gather negative publicity and being regular in news for bad reasons.
the basic and the core step to stop reservation is to choose best educated person from all areas cities states and country in election.

Unknown said...

सर,
आपका ब्लॉग पढ़कर अच्छा लगा।
पूरी तरह से सहमत हैं आपसे।
परन्तु ये समझ नही आता की आखिर इसका क्या किया जा सकता है? क्या उपाय है इसका? क्या बस ये जो सब हो रहा है ऐसे देखते रहें?